Stolberg
„The Üll“ (owl) was an ancient farmhouse on the Fleuth, at the corner of Süßendeller Straße.
Located on the old Düren-Eupen trade route
„The Üll“ (owl) was an old farmhouse at the Fleuth, at the corner of Süßendeller Straße, just a few steps away from the St. Nicholas chapel. The builders of the farm were probably also involved as founders in the original construction of the chapel.
The first documented mention of the chapel dates back to the years 1748/1749: „[…] the dilapidated St. Nicholas chapel at the Flutt shall be rebuilt […]“. This suggests that the chapel already existed in the 16th or 17th century and was thus built after the farmhouse „The Üll“.
The last inhabitants of the farm bore the surname Frantzen, but were mostly referred to simply as „Üll“. A descendant, Christian Frantzen, was commonly known as „Üller Kress“, while many did not even know the actual surname.
The farm was located on an important trade route, the Düren-Eupen road, which passed through Fleuth via Schevenhütte and Krewinkel. For travelers coming from Krewinkel, „The Üll“ was probably the first building they saw in the village.
There are no confirmed details about the origin of the name „The Üll“. It may be related to the vigilance and keen hearing of owls. Earlier inhabitants may have served as sentinels along the trade route, to observe unusual military movements or „suspicious characters“ – a task that could have been associated with the nickname „The Üll“.
Dorfhistorischer Rundweg
52224 Stolberg-Mausbach