The Kreuzwäldchen is a peaceful and completely idyllic area.
South-west of the village of Kempenich, on a small hill, stands the chapel of the "Our Lady of Sorrows", which was built in 1879 by the pastor Ferdinand von Freyhold.
The chapel stands on historical ground, because in the distant past there was a castle complex, popularly called the "old castle".
Their remains came to light when the Kalvarienberg was built in the Kreuzwäldchen in the years 1873 - 1881.
At that time, deep under the roots of the trees, strong foundation walls of a building complex were found, which showed traces of a fire and violent demolition everywhere.
A fountain nineteen meters deep has been preserved.
The complex also includes the Lourdes grotto and the path of the "Seven Sorrows of Mary".
The chapel can be reached from the village via a way of the cross with artistically designed terracotta pictures.
As a companion and orientation aid, it is best to print out the flyer "In the footsteps of geology, art and history of the Kempenicher Ländchen" in the right column with one click.
The chapel can be visited (the chapel is usually open), guided tours are also possible on request.