The castle gate was built in 1677 and is today the only remnant of a former knight's seat.
The builder is the Provost of Mainz, Baron Heinrich Ferdinand von der Leyen zu Nickenich. The castle was on the upper half of Burgstrasse, which had been mentioned since 1528. The listed castle gate was once the entrance to the farm buildings of the castle district.
Further information: http://gv-nickenich.de/GVN/page/projekte/themen/burg-burgtor.php