The provost church of St. Servatius in Buchholz has been in existence for almost 900 years above Burgbrohl and Weiler.
Almost 30 years ago, the fate of the venerable church seemed sealed. Badly damaged by the fire on New Year's Eve in 1951, only a dilapidated ruin remained, which became more and more a danger to the general public. At a time when almost all that mattered was the new one, the demolition didn't seem to be turning away.
A few braced themselves against the impending disaster, and thanks to the initiative of the former owners and other supporters, the demolition was averted and the restoration of the historic walls began.
On November 11, 1984, the Association for the Restoration and Preservation of the Propsteikirche Buchholz e. V. founded. Since then, the voluntary members of the development association have been working on the reconstruction of the church with financial support from the federal government, the state, the diocese, companies and private individuals.
The “Ahl Kirch” in Buchholz has long ceased to be a building site, but more and more a place for culture and events. In cooperation with the Brohltal community, we offer concerts and other events. And the well-attended events show us that we are on the right track.
History at a glance
* 1125 Construction of the vaulted basilica by the monks of the Benedictine monastery in Gladbach
* 1150 addition of the transept
* Expansion in the east in the middle of the 12th century: choir and absis
* 13th century dismantling of the choir towers and shortening of the transept
* 1683 baroque reconstruction
* 1802 Dissolution of the monastery by secularization decree: use of the church as a barn
* 1951 Fire caused by negligent arson, increasing deterioration of the church
* 1981 Application for a demolition permit due to the threat of collapse
* 1981 Agreement between the State Office for the Preservation of Monuments in Rhineland-Palatinate under the state curator Prof. Hofrichter with the Seul and Nuppeney families on the reconstruction of the former Buchholz provost's office
* 1984 foundation of the friends' association