Abteikirche Maria Laach
Masks are compulsory in all public areas in Maria Laach.
Maria Laach is one of the most famous sights in the Brohltal/Laacher See Volcano Park. The abbey church is the most famous building in the Eifel.
It is one of the most outstanding examples of German Romanesque church architecture. The abbey with its own nursery, workshops, bookstore and a shop for traditional handicrafts attracts over a million visitors all year round.
About history Count Palatine Heinrich II of Laach founded the cloister at the lake opposite his palatine castle in 1093. Archbishop Hillin von Trier inaugurated the church in 1156 and around 1230 the last part of the church, the porch, the so-called paradise, was completed. The abbey church is one of the most valuable Romanesque churches in the Rhineland. When the French Revolution was abolished in 1802, the entire church was removed. After private use, the Jesuits established their university here from 1862-1872, until 1892 again Benedictine monks settled in the monastery. Since then, the monastery, which many visitors and guests also visit, has been the place of the monks for their worship and for their diverse work, which is supported by many employees from the region.
Church services in Maria Laach Abbey:
Mon to Sat:
5:30 a.m., morning listening
7.30 a.m., Convention Office
11.45 a.m. 5.30 p.m., Vespers
7.45 p.m., complete Saturdays additionally:
6.15 p.m., evening mass Sundays and 5:30 am, morning chorus
7:15 a.m., Holy Mass
9 a.m., Convention Office
11 a.m., Holy Mass
2.30 p.m., daytime chorus
5.30 p.m., Vespers
7.45 p.m., complete