The three-aisled neo-Gothic church was planned by the famous architect Vincenz Statz from Cologne (construction period 1859 - 1861).
Until 1861, the Plaidter Church stood on the “Old Church Square”, which had become dilapidated and offered too little space for the steadily growing population.
In 1846, Count Clemens von Boos-Waldeck from Sayn donated relics of St. Willibrord to the church, which his grandfather received from the Echternach monastery in 1786.
As part of the major renovation from 1973 to 1975, the interior was given its current design by the architect Karl Peter Böhr.
Further information: https://www.pfarierendengemeinschaft-plaidt.de/unsere-pfarrei/st-willibrord-plaidt/geschichte/