St. Bernhard Kirche Wittlich
On the 01 July 1955, after a two-year construction period, the Benediction was completed according to the plans of the cathedral master builder Prof. Dr. W. Weyres from Cologne. The barrel-shaped wooden ceiling was made by the master carpenter Christian Meiers from Wittlich. The large high altar made of Kyllsandstein is based on a design by the Wittlich artist Hanns Scherl, as is the tabernacle made of bronze. The figures carved into the altar represent the four evangelists with their symbols, lion, bull, man and eagle. The cross hanging above the altar with the preciously carved body from 1648 was restored by Hanns Scherl and brought into T-shape on new beams - it is a gift from St. Markus. The organ on the right side of the gallery was built by the organ builder Alfred Führer from Wilhelmshaven; it is equipped with a mechanical key action with 24 stops. According to the guidelines of the Second Vatican Council, the altar area was redesigned in 1998/1999. On an altar island built of the same sandstone there is a celebration altar. The altar made of Jurassic limestone from the region "Chauvigny"/Middle France, as well as the ambo and baptismal font form a unit. They were designed and created together by stonemason Rainer Bielan, Neidenbach/Eifel and Hanns Scherl. A relic of the blessed brother Peter Friedhofen (1819-1860) is inlaid into the altar. In 2000 a bronze Stations of the Cross by H. Scherl was added to the back wall, and in November 1999 the consecration of St. Bernhard took place. The large stained glass window, a gift from the French government, in the curve on the rear wall, is a work by the Parisian artist Eduard Pastor and depicts the patron saint of the church, St. Bernard, as a Crusade preacher and devotee of Our Lady. In the side chapel under the organ loft is a pieta made of lava stone by the artist Anneliese Degen from Höhr-Grenzhausen. On the sandstone altar there is a small tabernacle by the Wittlich locksmith Wilhelm Schrot. In a monstrance there is the relic of St. Bernhard of Clairvaux, a gift from the Cistercian abbey of Himmerod.