The Hasenmühle was first mentioned in 1272. Until the beginning of the 20th century, it was the mill with the strongest water power in Wittlich and the surrounding area. Its ensemble consisted of grain mill, oil mill and tan mill. The owner of the mill was the Himmerod Monastery until the end of the feudal period. The name goes back to the family of the then tenant Ganggolf Haaß (1598 -1640). In 1803 Peter Melchiors from Zell bought the Hasenmühle with garden and lands for 4600 francs. In the Wittlich church register of 1832 it is referred to as Melchiorsmühle. From 1850 the Raskopf family lived in the mill. In 1902 Gotthard Raskopf operated a bathing establishment with restaurant at the Hasenmühle, the water for this was taken from the Lieser. In 1928 the Hasenmühle was temporarily shut down. After the 2nd World War, cheese boxes were produced in the Hasenmühle and it now served as a residential house again. In 1974 the Hasenmühle was leased by the Gesellschaft zur Förderung des Schachspiels 1974 e.V. for 99 years and renovated in 1976. Chess has been played in the large room since June 1977. The Hasenmühle is known far beyond the state borders as the state performance center of the Rhineland-Palatinate Chess Federation. Since 2006, after a repainting, the mill shines in a delicate yellow, which harmoniously matches the newly painted sandstone walls. Furthermore, the roof of the main house was renewed and 6 skylights were incorporated.