The sulphur spring was mentioned relatively early in a document from 1415 as "Wallenburren". The springs near Heckenmünster were known early on as healing springs and were famous in the area. Folk belief localised a former temple monastery here. Attentive to the stories and reports of the local inhabitants and other interested people, the then Provincial Museum in Trier decided to carry out excavations near the springs. In 1887, Roman walls were discovered by employees of the Museum of Trier, which led to the assumption that a Roman source sanctuary had been located here. In 1966 and 1967 the assumption was verified by excavations: Wallenborn was the centre of a Gallo-Roman source sanctuary built around the sulphur source. The core of the complex was the source area, which was enclosed by a wall. Three temples were located within an enclosure wall. Attached to the enclosure wall was a building on the southwest beach, which was probably used as a stage for a theatre for ritual games. Several buildings were attached to the temple district, such as lobbies, pilgrim accommodation and a bath. The oldest finds were dated to the 1st century AD. The buildings date from the 2nd century AD. A dendrochronological investigation of an oak water channel from the middle of the complex could be dated to 129 AD. At the time of the Germanic invasions in the years 275 - 276 a decrease in the number of finds occurred. The sanctuary of the spring was severely affected and was most likely abandoned around this time. No traces of violent destruction of the site were found during the excavations. After the cartographic survey of the complex had been carried out and individual finds had been secured, all exposed parts of the building were covered with earth again in order to preserve them for posterity.