Römerwarte Katzenberg (Roman Hill Fort)

Mayen

Share content:

During the time of the Romans, a large hill fort watched over the people of the Mayen vicus. Around 70 metres of the fortress wall with an accessible walk along the battlements and two towers have since been reconstructed. From the protective post on the summit of Katzenberg, they had a far-reaching view out over East Eifel – an industrial region pre-dating modern times.
In about 300 AD, when the Roman hill fort was built, there were no more limes to protect against marauding bands who came robbing and murdering across the Rhine. Without it, Mayen would certainly have been a worthwhile target, as the ceramics industry was booming there because of its clay deposits, making it a global player on the European market. The local clay could be used to produce highly heat-resistant ceramics, which was particularly important for cookware. Altogether, the ancient volcanic activity of East Eifel bestowed rich treasures. The Romans were already mining basalt lava for highly productive grain mills at the Mayen mining site, and tuff was being extracted from the Roman mine in Meurin for major building projects. Both mining sites as well as the Roman hill fort are part of "Vulkanpark Osteifel" (East Eifel Volcano Park) and are well worth visiting as excursion destinations.

A station along the Roman roads.

Place

Mayen

Contact

Vulkanpark GmbH
Rauschermühle 6
56637 Plaidt
Phone: (0049)2632 9875
Fax: (0049)2632 987520

Homepagewrite e-mail

Plan your journey

Route on Google Maps

Arrive by train

You might also be interested in

Altes Rathaus, © Stadt Mayen/Seydel

Altes Rathaus

The unknown architect, who let the old townhall built in 1717, already knew that the basalt of mayen would be the ideal ressource for building a monument. Also highlighting the window fronts. The entrance also leaves an memorable impression. Four halfround designed steps lead to the portal, framed by massive pillars which is similar to the entrance of the Genoveva Castle which was created by Ravenstein. The city coat of arms is above the entrance. Above that the balcony with a beautiful parapet which is stabelized by a corbel. The square clock tower is located on the attic floor. It has a octagonal erection and a high sound opening. The hiproof is covered with slate. The highlight of that side of the old townhall is the artificial designed clock-face. Furthermore it is a location for weddings.

Vulkanparkstation Mayener Grubenfeld, Felswand, © Rheinland-Pfalz Tourismus GmbH, D. Ketz

Vulkanparkstation Grubenfeld

Mayen´s pit field is oner of the oldest and most important mines of basalt lava. This porous stone is perfectly suitable for grain grindings am millstones. A tour leads through the mine landscape, in the depth of the petrified lava river of the Bellerberg volvano with ist bizzare pillars. Roman mining traces can be found near a modern crane from the 20 th century. The sculpture park "LAPIDEA" is also on this area which is used for all kinds of events an by arches as training camp.

Wehrgang in Mayen, © Stadt Mayen/Seydel

Mittelalterliche Stadtbefestigung - Wehrgang

After Mayen was declared as a city by Rudolf von Habsburg in 1291, the city got palisadings and gateways as protection. that they began with the building of the city wall - it was 1,660 m (1,815 yd) long, had 4 gates and 16 towers and starts and ends at the "Genoveva" castle - which surrounded the city almost circular. The fortified wall lost its protective function after cannons got improved in the 17th century. In the 19th and 20th century, large parts of the wall were teared down to cope with the necessary enhancement of the city. A part of the remaining wall was destroyed in World War II. Remaining parts of the city fortification were rebuild. The castle precints was connected with the wall walk via circular stairs and from there you could go to the rose garden and the "Genoveva" castle. The wall walk can only be visited with a city tour.