Vulkanparkstation Grubenfeld

Mayen

Share content:

Mayen´s pit field is oner of the oldest and most important mines of basalt lava. This porous stone is perfectly suitable for grain grindings am millstones.

A tour leads through the mine landscape, in the depth of the petrified lava river of the Bellerberg volvano with ist bizzare pillars.
Roman mining traces can be found near a modern crane from the 20 th century.

The sculpture park "LAPIDEA" is also on this area which is used for all kinds of events an by arches as training camp.

Place

Mayen

Contact

Vulkanpark GmbH
Rauschermühle 6
56637 Plaidt
Phone: (0049)2632 9875
Fax: (0049)2632 987520

Homepagewrite e-mail

Plan your journey

Route on Google Maps

Arrive by train

You might also be interested in

Heilig-Geist-Kapelle 1, © Stadt Mayen/P!el Media

Heilig-Geist-Kapelle

The "Heilig-Geist" chapel was built in 1757 and was usually part of the "Hospital zum Heiligen Geist". In 1935, foundations were found which implies that there used to be an own chapel for the hospital. After World War 2, the "Heilig-Geist" chapel used to be an emergency churge for the "St. Clemens" priest's office for a couple of years. After its renovation in the years of 1960/61, the chapel was opened as monument, dedicating to the casualties of the war and the gruesome dictatorship and since that a place for thinking and reflecting.

Altes Rathaus, © Stadt Mayen/Seydel

Altes Rathaus

The unknown architect, who let the old townhall built in 1717, already knew that the basalt of mayen would be the ideal ressource for building a monument. Also highlighting the window fronts. The entrance also leaves an memorable impression. Four halfround designed steps lead to the portal, framed by massive pillars which is similar to the entrance of the Genoveva Castle which was created by Ravenstein. The city coat of arms is above the entrance. Above that the balcony with a beautiful parapet which is stabelized by a corbel. The square clock tower is located on the attic floor. It has a octagonal erection and a high sound opening. The hiproof is covered with slate. The highlight of that side of the old townhall is the artificial designed clock-face. Furthermore it is a location for weddings.