The upper forts has been enthroned above the Lieser valley for more than a thousand years. It is the older of the two Manderscheider forts. The forts was first mentioned in a document in 973 and is enthroned on a hilltop that was removed for construction, close to the current edge of the village. As can still be seen today from the ruins, it had an almost triangular outer wall and a five-story keep that has since been made accessible again.
The last inhabitant of the upper forts was the "Burggretchen", as Margarethe Zirbes was called. She left the forts in the 2nd half of the 19th century. After that it stood empty. In 1921 the municipality of Manderscheid bought the upper forts for a purchase price of 1800,- Mark at that time. The forts association looks back on an eventful past of the upper forts.
The ruin is freely accessible and open.