In 1460, the armies of Pyrmont and Erenberg and the parish priest of Forst built a three-naved late gothic hall church. The keystones in its net vault show the coats of arms of the noble families of the Eifel who were involved in the construction, as well as the coat of arms of the archbishop and elector Johann II of Baden.
Unfortunately, this jewel was destroyed in an air raid on 25 September 1944. Although fragmented the Vesperbild (pieta) from the 15th century was recovered and reassembled in 1947 by the sculptor Bettendorf from Trier.
The new Schwanenkirche was built in the same location in 1950/52 according to the plans of architect Karl Peter Böhr from Mayen; the smooth external outline was intended to be reminiscent of the old church.
The name "Schwanenkirche" ("Swan Church") refers to the legend according to which, through the intercession of the Virgin Mary, a knight was freed from captivity by a swan and carried home across the sea. This knight, probably a crusader, then had the church built.