The romantically situated Wildenburg near Hellenthal is the only hilltop castle in the Euskirchen district that has not been destroyed. Wildenburg Castle was founded by the Reifferscheiders in the 12th century. After being owned by the Lords of Palandt from 1414 to 1639, it was purchased by Steinfeld Monastery in the 18th century. The monks rebuilt the castle in its present form and established a priory. In 1802, by order of the French government, the ecclesiastical properties were confiscated and the monks were expelled from the monasteries. This fate also befell Steinfeld Abbey and Wildenburg Priory. Today, Wildenburg is used as a meeting, recreational and educational centre. It lies directly on the Castle Route.