Close to the border between the Eifel and the Ardennes in the municipality of Hellenthal is Reifferscheid Castle, first mentioned in 1106, a medieval hilltop castle typical of the Eifel. The current system of castle ruins, outer bailey and fortified castle settlement reflects the change in this former mansion.
On June 23, 1669, the carelessness of a soldier triggered a fire that destroyed Reifferscheid Castle and large parts of the upper village. Then the castle was rebuilt as a baroque palace. Finally, the castle was again in the Reunion Wars of Ludwig XlV. partially destroyed and rebuilt.
In 1805 Reifferscheid Castle was auctioned. More and more abandoned to decay, it then served as a quarry for a long time and fell into ruin.
The well-preserved outer bailey, the curtain wall with two city gates and remains of the castle, as well as a - almost unchanged - 600 year old city plan are well worth seeing.
The Catholic parish of St. Matthias regularly offers guided tours through the Burgbering and the church on Sundays.
The Counts of Salm-Reifferscheid were buried in St. Matthias in the 17th century. The burial place was forgotten and was only rediscovered in the 19th century.
Every two years (in even years) the castle festival takes place on the third weekend in September with the medieval musicians and jugglers program.
Every year on the first weekend in Advent, the Christmas market takes place in the castle complex.
Reifferscheid Castle is located directly on the Castle Route.