St. Salvator Basilika Prüm
Charles the Great built the first Salvatorkirche. The abbey church of the Benedictine Abbey of Prüm was so precious as to hold the relic of the sandals Christian that it was called the "Golden Church".
After changing history, in the course of which the church had been destroyed several times and became a victim of fire catastrophe, the Trier Elector Franz Ludwig of Pfalz-Neuburg in 1721 commissioned the reconstruction of the Salvatorkirche. The layout of today's Salvatorkirche can be traced back to the designs of Hofbaumeister Hans georg Judas, who used earlier styles such as Romanticism, Gothic and Renaissance. On the other hand, the interior decoration reflects the main Franconian baroque spirit of his successors Neumann and Seitz.
After the Abbey of Prüm was abolished in the course of secularization, the abbey church passed into the possession of the Catholic parishion of Prüm in 1802. In the Second World War, the Salvatorkirche was heavily damaged, while the substance of the building was preserved.
In May 1950 the damage had been remedied so far that the services could be celebrated again in the Salvatorkirche. On 10 June 1950 the Salvatorkirche was established by Pope Piux XII. to a "Basilica Minor".
Inside the St. Salvator Basilika, among other things, the baroque high altar, the reliquary shrine and the emperor's emperor of Lothar, the grandson of Charles the Great.