Half-timbered village Monreal

Half-timbered village Monreal

Monreal

Share content:

The narrow streets of Monreal, its quaint Holy Trinity Church, the massive Nepomuk Bridge over the clear flowing Elzbach and the ruins of Löwenburg and Philippsburg castles high above the village are a beautiful destination in the eastern Eifel.

The red and white half-timbered houses nestle closely together, especially the four-gabled house from the 15th century transports walkers into a fairytale past. The still beautifully preserved half-timbered houses bear witness to the prosperity that Monreal achieved through the processing of sheep's wool and the manufacture of cloth from the 17th century onwards. In the second half of the 19th century, handicraft was no longer competitive with international, industrialised rivals, and the population became impoverished. A fate that Monreal shares with the equally picturesque Monschau. Not only visually is Monreal a destination that relaxes the soul. Café Plüsch with its cosy interior, the Old Rectory with its cottage garden and sunny terrace on the banks of the stream or the former signal box at the gates of the town are perfect addresses for foodies. The originally furnished restaurant on the former railway line is connected to the medieval town centre via a promenade along the Elzbach. The highlight for lovers of handicrafts is the pottery in the old school with its colourful ceramics, also displayed in a terraced garden.

Hikers get their money's worth on the hiking trail Monrealer Ritterschlag and are rewarded for the sometimes steep passages with wonderful views.

Exceptional is the quaint Advent market on the historic market square, usually on every 3rd Advent weekend in December (with pre-Christmas caroling on Sunday), and the late evening New Year's Eve gathering on 31 December, also on the market square.

mehr lesen

Place

Monreal

Contact

Fachwerkdorf Monreal
Marktplatz
56729 Monreal
Phone: (0049) 02651 800995
Fax: (0049) 02651 800920

Homepagewrite e-mail

Plan your journey

Route on Google Maps

Arrive by train

You might also be interested in

Kirche St. Kastor und Katharina, © Foto: Svenja Schulze-Entrup, Quelle: Touristik-Büro Vordereifel

Kirche St. Kastor und Katharina in Kehrig

The parish church of Kehrig, consecrated by Karden, and the tithe belonged to the Castor monastery in Karden until 1802. 1656 owned the church of Kehrig, which after de Lorenzi from the 13th / 14th. It is said to have originated in the 18th century, three altars. The main altar was consecrated to Castor, the side altars to Mary and Peter. Today's parish church, which was built between 1869 and 1872 by the Düsseldorf architect Pickel, is consecrated to St. Kastor and St. Katharina.