Klosterruine Mädburg Kehrig
The monastery ruins "Mädburg" at Kehrig
Not far from the confluence of the monastery creek that rises in Kehrig, the Elz flows around a small plateau about 20 m above the valley floor, bounded on the northwest by a rocky steep slope. Here are world-secluded between tall spruce trees and surrounded by thorny scrub, the extensive remains of a small church, which leads to the strange name Mädburg.
From ancient documentation, it is known that the building is an original Marian chapel, built before 1350, with a pilgrimage church built after 1350, in honor of Saint Luzia. This cultivation tract was provided after 1700 with a separation wall. Around 1810 the demolition must have taken place. In a newspaper report dated 01.08.1928 it says: "Around 1810, under the rule of the French, the chapel, the rectory and also the monastery were sentenced to demolition." No one wanted to lend a hand from Kehrig, because the chapel was in high honor among the grandparents There a certain Polchian man gave himself to this, but he had no luck with the proceeds The altar came to the St. Wolfgang chapel The altarpiece depicts the poor souls in purgatory The little bell came to Berresheim A statue of the Virgin Mary in Mayen's Age Museum The Trinity Chapel, still standing today, was built by two countesses of Monreal Castle in gratitude for salvation and their portraits were formerly in the chapel but have disappeared. "
Until 1950, the chapel was overshadowed by a 350-year-old beech, popularly known as "thick beech". It was under natural preservation and fell victim to a storm that hit the front Eifel and the Maifeld in the night of 4 to 5 July 1950.
(Source: website of the local church Kehrig http://www.kehrig-eifel.de/)