Schaftkreuz im Schlosspark Dreis

Schaftkreuz im Schlosspark Dreis

Dreis

Share content:

The almost three-meter high slender shaft cross in the far corner of the chateau park bears the typical form ornamentation of the Baroque period. The strikingly high, rectangular base of the cross is adorned with diamond cuboids at the front and sides. After a "pinch-off", above it rises a cross shaft tapering towards the top, which is almost completely covered by the inscription.
"1671 ZU DER EHREN GOTTES HAT DISZ CREUTZ LASSEN AUF RICHTEN PETTER KEUL UND SEIN HAUS FRAUW CATRINA VON DREIS".
Below this is a shield of arms with a pair of scissors incorporated, the professional sign of the tailor. An inconspicuous stonemason's mark above the date reveals the origin of the well-known workshop of the Wolff brothers in Wittlich. The same sign can also be found on the richly decorated facade of the Wolff family's ancestral home, today's Hotel Well on Wittlich's market square.

At a glance

Opening hours

  • From January 1st to December 31st

    The shaft cross in the castle park in Dreis can be viewed at any time.

Place

Dreis

Contact

Ortsgemeinde Dreis
Kirchstraße 22
54518 Dreis
Phone: (0049) 65787249

write e-mail

Plan your journey

Route on Google Maps

Arrive by train