Altes Rathaus Wittlich / Städtische Galerie für Kunst

Altes Rathaus Wittlich / Städtische Galerie für Kunst

Wittlich

Share content:

The impressive Old Town Hall (1652 with annex 1922) dominates the historic market square of the Säubrennerstadt and gives it beauty and uniqueness in combination with the listed houses opposite. Notable are, among others, the St. Rochus, which adorns the front of the building and which, traditionally for the Säubrennerkirmes, is decorated with a bouquet of flowers in a solemn ceremony. The attractive Renaissance building is now the seat of the Cultural Office of the City of Wittlich and also houses the municipal gallery of art: the astonishing exhibition on the ground floor is dedicated to the well-known artist Georg Meistermann, who created many stained glass windows for the city of Wittlich between 1949 and his death in 1990. He dedided that parts of his estate should stay in Wittlich. The permanent exhibition shows works from all of Meistermann's creative periods and takes into account the artist's different techniques. Particularly impressive are the large-format and colourful designs for the windows in the St. Markus church, which have been extensively restored. The historic stairwell and Hall 101 are decorated with other Meistermann windows. Especially the "Apocalyptic Riders" between the ground floor and the first floor are particularly worth seeing here. In addition to the Meistermann exhibition, two to three other exhibitions can be seen annually in the six halls of the first floor. Due to the narrowness of the former administrative offices, concessions have to be made with regard to the formats of the works of art on display. However, the historical architecture here has a special charm, which creates fascinating eye-catchers and unusual views. The historic Great Boardroom is very popular and it is often used for festive weddings and receptions. The design and furnishing of the hall is one of the very few original interior decorations of the Trier artist Fritz Quant and is just as worth seeing as the entire extraordinary building.

At a glance

Opening hours

  • From January 1st to December 31st

    Tuesdays to Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
    Sundays and holidays from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.


    Closed in Monday

Place

Wittlich

Contact

Tourist-Information Wittlich Stadt und Land
Neustraße 2/Marktplatz
54516 Wittlich
Phone: 0049 6571 4086
Fax: 0049 6571 29077

write e-mail

Plan your journey

Route on Google Maps

Arrive by train