Neo-gothic Kreuzweg Adenau
In its brevity, the historic Way of the Cross offers relaxation and reflection for everyone, but also unimagined potential for discovering its flora and fauna for nature lovers.
The Way of the Cross was built by citizens of the Catholic parish of Adenau between 1861 and 1863 in neo-Gothic style. Two angels with the instruments of Christ's suffering mark the beginning of the path. "Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane" and a "burial grotto" with seven figures enclose the actual Way of the Cross. The individual stations are made of Rieden tufa stone, the (outer) borders and the steps of the path were made of basalt columns. The terracotta reliefs are based on the 14 frescoes by the painter Josef von Führich in the parish church of St. Nepomuk in Vienna.
The flora and fauna of the park-like facility also offers nature lovers a worthwhile goal, as numerous non-native trees and shrubs were used during the creation planted. The historic Way of the Cross is also signposted as a circular route from the historic market square and the route then has a total length of approx. 1.8 km.