This chapel was built as a pilgrimage church in honor of the Mater Dolorosa (the mother of pain) at the end of 15th century during late Gothic period construction, in district of Driesch in Lutzerath.
In the early 1970s, extensive renovation work was carried out in the two-nave-hall church.
Today it is a protected cultural monument and well worth a visit. Not just because of the three-tiered Bitter-Leidens altar, errected in 1672, was carved by a farmer and carpenter named Bartholomäus Hammes originating from the neighboring town of Alflen over a period of 30 years. The baroque altar is one of the most impressive and beautiful in the Rhineland.