Evangelische Stadtkirche

Evangelische Stadtkirche

Monschau

Share content:

The listed Evangelical City Church is located in the heart of Monschau directly on the Rur. Its construction began in 1787 by the then extraordinarily wealthy Lutheran cloth makers. In 1789 the church was opened with a solemn service and was finally completed in 1810 after the installation of two galleries and an organ. The richly executed interior forms a clear contrast to the rather simple exterior. The festively designed hall is aligned with the choir, which is raised by two flat steps and which is given a very special character by the two unusual box cabinets on both sides of the artfully carved pulpit. It is equipped with precious stucco work in the style of "Louis-seize" on the mirrored ceiling and on the walls. Its very rare design and furnishings in the "Louis-seize" style and its relevance as a testimony to the cultural, social and economic history of the city had resulted in the church being named a "building of national importance" by the German Bundestag . It was named "City Church of the Year 2012" by the "Foundation for the Preservation of Church Monuments in Germany (KiBa)". It is one of the cultural churches in the EKD area. The town church is usually open from "Easter to October" from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and for church services.

Place

Monschau

Contact

Evangelische Kirchengemeinde Monschauer Land
Laufenstraße 4-6
52156 Monschau
Phone: (0049) 2472912350

Homepagewrite e-mail

Plan your journey

Route on Google Maps

Arrive by train