The history of the place is shaped by the proximity to the castle Virneburg, where the lords and later counts of Virneburg lived. Their ownership came to the Counts of Löwenstein-Wertheim in the 17th century. In 1794 the area on the left bank of the Rhine became French and Welschenbach was assigned to the Mairie Virneburg in the Rhine-Moselle department. This was continued in 1815 by Prussia in the form of a mayor's office, later as an office in the Adenau district. In 1910 there were 134 inhabitants in Welschenbach. The Virneburg office was dissolved in 1934, Welschenbach came to the Mayen-Land office and in 1970 to the municipality of the same name, which was renamed the Vordereifel municipality in 2002.