The castle has been destroyed many times, most recently in the Palatinate War of Succession in 1689 by French troops of Louis XIV, like most Eifel castles. Today only a ring wall and a basement tower with shooting ranges are preserved from the former, probably over 1000 years old Burganlage. The Amtshaus, hunting castle of Elector Karl III. Joseph of Lorraine, is now used as a hotel. Below the castle are several restored castle mansions, which are also under monument protection.