Castles of Manderscheid
Manderscheider Burgen/Castles of Manderscheid Ober- and Niederburg 54531 Manderscheid Tel. 06572/737 The upper castle is the older one of the two castles. It was always in the possession of Trier until the dispersal of the electorate and its destruction by the French in 1673.The lower castle, documentarily first mentioned in 1173, has always been in the possession of the Manderscheid count family.Today the upper castle is in the possession of the local government of Manderscheid, the lower castle is in the possession of the Eifel-association. Both castles have been renovated and form the impressive scenery for the castle festival with knights' festivals, taking place every year on the last weekend of August.